Virtualbox and Linux Mint high CPU

I use VirtualBox a lot. Mostly on Windows 10 host and Linux Mint guest (Ubuntu, Linux Mint 18). And it was always horribly slow no matter what cpu/memory/video acceleration settings I used. If using without “3d hardware acceleration” it was just generally slow but using the hardware acceleration was sometimes glitchy and most of the time very high CPU usage reported in htop. Today I finally found a solution – install MATE desktop interface in the linux virtual machine! Turns out Cinnamon interface that comes default with Linux Mint heavily depends on graphics acceleration and Virtualbox just cant do that even with the Guest Additions Iso. Mate desktop interface uses only CPU and in a very efficient way – finally the Virtualbox virtual machine feels like real OS and is real fast, CPU usage went from 10-80% to 0-1% idling.
To switch Linux Mint from Cinnamon to Mate:
1. open terminal, type “sudp apt-get install mate-desktop”
2. log out of cinnamon
3. on login screen click the upper right corner of login box and choose Mate
4. log in and enjoy!

change ubuntu linux mint from cinnamon to mate
change ubuntu linux mint from cinnamon to mate

Annas hotel website

Recently finished another website in Flash. It is for a nice hotel in Latvia with SPA & restaurant.
I have switched back to Actionscript 2.0 in Flash, because AS 3.0 is a bit too much headache and tough learning curve.
Website is based on SWFAddress deep-linking structure and uses other free Actionscript libraries. Database is MySQL driven, connected in simple XML loadData manner. All text data can be edited with WYSIWYG type editor.

Intro section welcome page … reservation

Visit: http://www.annashotel.com

Scite default encoding to UTF-8

Scite is one of the best text editors out there – functional, fast and lightweight! If you write a lot of text that is not in english (read: UTF-8) it becomes pretty annoying as every time you open Scite.exe it defaults to 8-bit character set. To write or see the opened document with UTF8 characters you have to click File > Encoding > UTF-8. While there is no graphical interface for options, you can still change the default encoding manually. Here is how:

  • Open Scite, click Options > Open global options file
  • search for “#code.page=65001” (mine is at line 218) and uncomment it (remove # symbol)
  • comment out “code.page=0” (add # symbol)
  • save the global ooptions file and restart Scite.exe

Now every time you open scite or a document in it, the default encoding will be “Code page property” or UTF-8 in most cases. If it doesn`t work, there area few other lines that you can uncomment right under the mentioned ones.
Hope this helps!